What is Taj Dermo Lotion ? (Generic Popular name- Calamine Lotion?
Calamine lotion is a combination of zinc oxide and ferric oxide and is produced by adding other ingredients like phenol and calcium hydroxide. It has been used as far back as 1500 BC, and more interestingly, it is on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines (for being an effective and safe medication for health).
Which makes us ask one question – is it really that big a deal when it comes to skin health? Read on to find out the benefits of calamine lotion.
What Is Calamine Lotion And How Does It Work?
Calamine lotion (or simply called calamine) is a medication that treats itchiness. It helps treat insect bites, sunburns, and certain mild skin ailments and diseases.
- The lotion works by its counter-irritant effects. After you apply the lotion to the skin, it evaporates and produces a cooling effect in the process (distracting you from the itchiness or other undesirable sensations). The zinc oxide in the lotion that we spoke about has anti-inflammatory properties, and this further adds to the benefits.
What Are The Benefits Of Calamine Lotion?
- The zinc oxide in calamine location, as we saw, has anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that this can help aid acne treatment.
- You can also use the lotion to treat acne cysts. First, apply steam to bring the pus out of the cysts. Then, apply some tea tree oil to kill the bacteria (using a cotton swab). Post that, take a drop or two of calamine lotion on a cotton swab and spot-treat the cysts. Gently rub the lotion over the affected areas. Leave it on for up to 3 hours so that it dries completely. You can rinse with warm water. Do this twice a day.
Helps Eliminate Dark Spots
- One particular ingredient in calamine, called kaolin, is known to reduce dark spots on constant application.
Soothes Dry Skin
Using calamine lotion for treating dry skin is simple. Add a few drops to a cotton swab and gently rub it on the dry areas. You can keep it on for about 3 hours and wash away with warm water.
Treats Diaper Rashes In Babies
- As calamine lotion is used to ease skin irritation, it can be a wonderful remedy for diaper rashes in babies. It works by keeping the skin free from moisture and prevents the rashes from recurring.
Relieves Itches During Pregnancy
Also called pruritus, this is one common symptom in pregnant women where the body begins to itch. Mild attacks can be treated successfully with antipruritic preparations like calamine lotion, as per studies
Even the American Pregnancy Association suggests using calamine lotion to curb itching during pregnancy.
Calamine Lotion Treats Insect Bites
The zinc oxide in the lotion creates a cooling sensation upon contact with skin. This offers temporary relief from mosquito bites (or ant bites). Though in some cases, the lotion could heal the underlying inflammation too, this may not happen at all times.
Calamine Lotion Treats Armpit Rashes
The lotion works in a similar way as on rashes on other areas of the body. It is an effective treatment that cures armpit rashes that cause irritation, inflammation, and discomfort all day long.
Treats Chicken Pox Blisters
If the accompanying fever and body aches are one side of the equation, the uncomfortable blisters are the other side. Calamine lotion contains phenol, menthol, and camphor – all of which were found to soothe the skin and dry out chicken pox blisters
Treats Eczema And Psoriasis
a. The zinc oxide and ferrous oxide in calamine lotion have a role to play here. While the former is a potent antiseptic and prevents infections, the latter improves skin tone.
Aids The Treatment Of Genital Warts
a. Calamine lotion can heal the affected areas and might even kill the virus (although research is lacking on this). However, this information about calamine lotion is based on anecdotal evidence only. Consult your doctor before you use the lotion for this purpose.
The Lotion Might Treat Hives
a. Calamine lotion applied to hives can help relieve itching. It achieves this by cooling your skin.
Can Treat Jock Itch
Though calamine lotion may not relieve jock itch completely, it can offer temporary relief by reducing the itchiness and discomfort. For better treatment, it is best to consult your doctor.
Treats Nail Fungus
a. hough there is very less information on this, anecdotal evidence suggests that the zinc oxide in calamine lotion can help treat nail fungus. But calamine doesn’t have antifungal properties – so how it helps treat nail fungus is unknown (we aren’t sure if it even does). Hence, talk to your doctor about it.
Calamine Lotion Reduces Oiliness
Some reports say that calamine lotion can keep your T-zone in check for at least 9 hours a day.
Might Open Skin Pores
- There is very little research on this. But some sources say calamine lotion can calm the skin and open skin pores so that they can breathe.
Applying calamine lotion can help reduce the itching and pain associated with shingles.
Relieves Itchy Vulva
Since calamine lotion can relieve itchiness, it can be used to address an itchy vulva.
Accelerates Wound Healing
Might Help Treat Yeast Infection
Yeast infection has something to do with fungus, again. And there is not enough evidence to support the claim that calamine lotion could really treat yeast infection. The information we have is only from anecdotal reports. Hence, consult your doctor.
Calamine Lotion Treats Poison Ivy Rash
Applying the lotion to the affected areas while still damp can offer some relief. But ensure your skin is not dried too much – which might happen if you use calamine lotion for extended periods
This contagious skin disease can be quite painful – with those red spots constantly itching. But with calamine lotion, you can find some relief.
→What Are The Side Effects Of Calamine Lotion?
There are very few adverse effects associated with the excess use of calamine lotion. But in case you experience irritation after applying it, stop use and consult your doctor for an alternative medication.
Severe side effects, though rare, include hives and swelling of the tongue, throat, or face.
Before using calamine Lotion, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication.
It is not known whether this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Calamine lotion may not be the ultimate cure for a few skin ailments – but it sure does relieve the symptoms and help you deal with them. Start using it today
Source: (Author :- Ravi Teja Tadimalla) Stylecraze